Professional figure skating has a rich, colorful and deep history, one that I want to help preserve and pass along to future generations.
The 20th century provided the world with some of the best one-of-a-kind skating spectaculars, from films to tours to TV specials – all contributing to the American culture.
When Tai and I turned pro, our first big contract was with the Ice Capades. We toured 30 weeks per year for three years. Turning pro taught us the true meaning of hard work, but in the end we were able to perfect our craft and move into other fields of skating.
Here are some other skating champions that toured when they first turned professional and the shows that they did:
- Dorothy Hamill – Ice Capades
- Scott Hamilton – Ice Capades
- Peggy Fleming – Ice Follies
- Barbara Ann Scott – Ice Capades
- Kristi Yamaguchi – Stars On Ice
- Ryan Bradley – Stars On Ice
- Gary Visconti – Holiday On Ice
- Robin Cousins – Holiday On Ice
- Kitty and Peter Carruthers – Ice Capades
- Evan Lysacek – Stars On Ice
The Pro Skating Historical Foundation has the perfect mission in preserving our professional skating history.